VDOT is currently accepting public comments through October 23rd on the I-495 Northern Extension (NEXT) Project, which would extend the Virginia Express Lanes from the Dulles Toll Road to the American Legion Bridge. This is a critical next step in building a regional managed lane network and addressing one of our area’s worst bottlenecks – the American Legion Bridge.
The Alliance urged VDOT to move forward with this project at the October 5th Virtual Public Hearing, but now they need to hear from you.
Please join us to ensure this important regional project moves forward.
The 495 NEXT Project will produce tremendous benefits for our community, including:
– Expanding travel capacity in the 495 Corridor
– Creating a new travel option that does not exist today
– Relieving congestion at a critical bottleneck
– Reducing neighborhood cut-through traffic and delays for both managed and general-purpose lane users
– Dramatically increasing transportation network reliability
– Incentivizing more carpooling and transit ridership, while creating new options for reliable bus rapid transit service between Virginia and Maryland
– Adding a 3-mile shared-use path that connects to local trails and greatly enhances bicycle and pedestrian travel
– Funded 100% with private dollars – freeing up limited Virginia transportation dollars for other projects, injecting hundreds of millions of dollars into our economy, and creating thousands of new jobs as our region works to recover from the economic impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic
Now is the time to move forward with this regionally significant project that will benefit our transportation network, economy, and community for many years to come.
Thank you for supporting a 21st Century Transportation Network for our region!