I-66 Outside the Beltway: The Path Forward
Upgrading I-66 outside the Capital Beltway is a longstanding Alliance priority.
The Alliance has supported upgrading of I-66 between the Capital Beltway and US 15 Haymarket for a long time and now it is moving forward. The first phase will be between the Beltway and University Blvd. in Gainesville and consist of three conventional lanes and two express lanes in each direction, high frequency bus service and park and ride lots and reservation of space for future Metro Orange Line Extension.
Here’s the latest schedule:
- June 24, 2016 — Issue Final Request for Private Sector Proposals
- July 2016 — Receive Technical Proposals from Interested Parties
- August 2016 — Receive Financial Proposals from Interested Parties.
- September 2016 — Select Best Value Private Sector Proposal
- October 2016 -April 2017 — Public Information Meetings and Early Work
- November 2016 — Execute Comprehensive Agreement
- April 2017 — Financial Close on Project
- Later 2017 — Construction Start
- Late 2020 — Open to Traffic
Transformation of I-66 into a Game-Changing Multi-Modal Corridor Another Example of Effective Alliance Advocacy.